Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Skeleton Drawings


This is a project from all the way back in Freshman Drawing 1 class at RISD (Rhode Island School of Design). Some of you RISD alum. will recognize it right away. The project was to draw 4 skeletons. I decided to be funny and drew the 4 as one giant piece. I can't remember the dimensions of this because it rolled up in a large tube at my parent's house, but I think its about 3 ft high and around 5 ft wide. I worked on the floor inside a large studio with other students working on the same project and if you look closely you can see, on the far right, a foot print of some callous person who decided it was cool to walk on my work :(...Another fun fact: Working in this studio with so many people working in charcoal at the same time with the charcoal residue caked into the nooks and crannys of this decades old building...I'd come home coughing and sneezing up black mucus. Probably not too healthy.

"RISD Drawing 1 assignment: Skeletons" Charcoal on Paper 1999

1 comment:

  1. I can see toes! That makes my feet cringe; I remember many sharp things on those floors, like tacks and stuff. Eeesh.

    I remember finding charcoal dust in my nostrils and ears from our time there. Those students who now enjoy the new, clean studios don't know what they're missing!

    ReplyDelete