Sunday, November 22, 2009

Teen angst is sparkly


I saw the first half of the first Twilight movie and I was already groaning at every melodramatic teen angsty scene when finally I had enough the very minute they explained that the vampires don't explode in a ball of dust at the sun light...but instead...they sparkle more than Liberace out on the town on a Saturday night. How is that supposed to be intimidating? I guess it was supposed to be portrayed as 'beautiful'...but if I came up to a REAL girl and started to sparkle, she'd laugh and then immediately question my sexuality.
Now...this character is supposed to be this lonely brooding 'emo' vampire who falls in love with this Washington state native girl who is also 'emo' and angsty and full of melodrama. Where are we supposed to care about these characters? Every step of the way, I wanted to slap everyone around. Maybe its because I went through High School and I know that there is life after it, but it just seems to me, that EVERY teen angst show/movie out there is centered around the idea that High School is it. Nothing happens after that. Your life is over. Let's be miserable and over react to impossible situations that would never happen to an actual teen...or at least MULTIPLE unlikely situations happening to the same teen. Its ridiculous. Did all the writers for these shows just not go to college? Were their prime years centered mainly in High School? Really? Well...I found out after 4 years of college that your life is finally beginning after High School...that's when its fun...so all the stupid, impossible or unlikely situations like "My brooding boyfriend, who can't seem to smile or have fun because he's so emo and thinks life is pain and sadness, is really a vampire." all seem rather pointless in the long run.

Maybe he's sad because he DOES sparkle...hell..I'd be pissed to if my skin sparkled. Should probably see a doctor about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment