Friday, July 17, 2009

Who ya gonna call?















Some kids love Superman or Spider-man. Some kids want to be a firefighter or an astronaut. I loved and wanted to be a Ghostbuster. The Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies since I was a little kid (like most children of the 80's) and The Real Ghostbusters was my all-time favorite cartoon growing up. Just recently, with the release of the entire cartoon series on dvd and the new video game, The Ghostbusters have rekindled my Ghostbustin' blood and is reheating my creamy geek center.

To give you a better understanding of my immersion into Ghostbusters (my Mom can confirm all of this). I watched the cartoon religiously, I watched the movie several times (even the not as good "Ghostbusters II"), I owned A LOT of the toys including the Firehouse playset, I collected the comic books, sticker books, my grandfather even made a Proton pack out of cardboard for halloween (the trap was made from a shoebox), I understood, even at a young age, the Ghostbuster lingo such as "a Class 5 full-torso Vapor", I tried to get my hair cut like Peter Venkmen in the cartoon but was told that hair just doesn't do that (it was a sad day for my childhood...lol) and most recently, I was researching to become an amateur Ghost Hunter here in Washington State. Unfortunately, that dream died rather quickly because my work schedule is just too busy to be out in some 'haunted' location till 4am.

So here are some sketches that I threw together today after watching the first disc of The Real Ghostbusters. The first is just a BW drawing of the 5 main characters, Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, Peter Venkmen, Winston Zeddemore, and Slimer. (Winston was voiced by Arsenio Hall in the cartoon...interesting fact.) and the second sketch is just a quick drawing I threw together from a still of Harold Ramis playing Egon Spengler in the live action blockbuster comedy, "The Ghostbusters". Usually, when you remember stuff from your childhood, the memory is better than it actual is...but after re-watching a few episodes of the cartoon, it still looks great.

"The Real Ghostbusters - sketch" Flash CS4 7/17/09
"Egon Spengler/Harold Ramis - sketch" Flash CS4 7/17/09

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to you the Ghostbusters song has been playing in my head non-stop since yesterday afternoon. Ah, the joys of being married to a geek. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you ready to have your childhood crushed when they come out with that new Ghostbusters live-action film? It's gonna be baaaaaaaaad....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, I always liked Igon Spengler the best ;)

    ReplyDelete